Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Day of the Dead: TED-Ed Lesson

In my post from yesterday I gave my initial reaction to the "flipped classroom." In short, I loved the idea, but wasn't sure how feasible it actually was to create effective lessons for students to complete outside of the classroom.  Well, I created a TED-Ed lesson for a homework assignment for grad school, and was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to do.  With easy to follow steps, I could DEFINITELY see using this in my future classroom as a way to introduce topics to students before we even meet in class.

Check out my Day of the Dead Lesson here.



Lesson Language Learning Objectives:

  • Relating Cultural Practices to Perspectives: Learners will use the language to investigate, explain, and reflect on the relationship between the practices and perspectives of the cultures studied
  • Relating Cultural Products to Perspectives: Learners will use the language to investigate, explain, an reflect on the relationship between the products and perspectives of the cultures studied
  • Acquiring Information and Diverse Perspectives: Learners access and evaluate information and diverse perspectives that are available through the language and its cultures
  • Cultural Comparisons: Learners use the language to investigate, explain, and reflect on the concept of culture through comparisons of the cultures studied and their own 
** These can be catered to meet the level of the class which is being taught **

How to Test if Objectives Have Been Met:
  • This lesson has several "Think" Multiple Choice Questions and and Discussion Question.  The MC questions check for comprehension, and the discussion question directly calls for cultural comparisons
  • This TED-Ed Lesson should be followed up by an in-class discussion in the target language in which the teacher models the discussion question in Spanish and a possible response.  Students will already have thought about the discussion question and their answer as per the TED-Ed assignment, so in class they will need to only focus on target language use.  The teacher can further this discussion by facilitating a conversation about the practices and products associated with Day of the Dead and how it relates to cultural perspectives.  This is the definition of flipped learning: The students learn the basics outside of class, then they can achieve higher level thinking in the classroom as guided by the teacher.

2 comments:

  1. I can see where you took some of the feedback into account from the VT. Nice! I am excited that you got pumped up about flipping from using TED-Ed. It is such a great tool and I think one that so many people don't know about. Do you think you accomplished your goals based on my responses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to go through my TED-Ed and give a short-response! I can say I definitely learned something new from what you wrote. One aspect of language learning is for students to understand cultural products and practices, and one way to get a deeper understanding is to compare what you are learning about to what you know. So based on that, I would say I am definitely pleased with how my discussion question turned out! Plus, I think it would be interesting for the students to read their classmates' responses--they might even learn something new, like I did!

      Delete