Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Comic Strips in the Spanish Classroom

I never had the opportunity to make a comic strip when I was in school, but during my time teaching abroad in Costa Rica I had my fourth grade class make a comic book strip about one of the stories we had just read in class.  My school didn't have much technology (no wifi, no computers in the classrooms), so I had printed off copies of comic strips for my kids to use.  They absolutely LOVED it. They got to be creative and artistic, while at the same time improving their writing skills.  This project allowed me to check for reading comprehension, too. Would I do this again? Absolutely.  Imagine the possibilities in a school where you could use technology, too! One of the sites my grad professor pointed us too this week was Strip Generator. It's an easy to use platform where you can pick your comic book layout, and add characters and text/thought bubbles by clicking and dragging.

So how can we use tools like Strip Generator in a foreign language classroom? I think creating comics are a fun and excellent tool for students to use when learning a language. It can be a great tool to practice vocabulary or demonstrate ability with a specific grammar concept. I made an example comic for my students to practice talking about the future by using "Ir (conjugated) + a" and "Ir (conjugated) + a + ir (infinitive) + a" called ¿Que va  a hacer Pilar?


If I had my students create their own comic strips using this same grammatical form, the performance indicators they would demonstrate at the intermediate level are:
  • Communicate using high frequency and personalized vocabulary within familiar themes or topics- Students should be able to use a variety of vocabulary to communicate future plans
  • Comprehend simple stories, routine correspondence, short descriptive texts or other selections within familiar contexts-Students should be able to follow and understand the comic strips, and demonstrate this ability of correspondence by showing conversations between characters
  • Produce sentences, series of sentences, and some connected sentences- Students should be able to produce complete sentences using the grammatical form being assessed that together make a cohesive comic strip story.
How I would assess my students: Well, I think this depends on how you choose to use comic strips in your classroom.  For this particular task, I would assess students based on:
  • Completion
  • Grammatical Accuracy 
  • Comprehension
These comic strips could then be shared as a whole class discussion, with individual partners, or posted onto a virtual classroom blog page for students to read and comment on their classmates' work.  How fun! 

2 comments:

  1. ¡Que tortuga más adorable! I loved this comic. Here is what I used to do with comic strips: I would find one in the newspaper that I liked, I would whiteout the text in the bubbles, then enlarge it on the copier onto big paper. This was waaaaaaay back in the day before all of the newfangled clip artsy stuff. The kids loved it then and they love it even more now that they can be in charge of all of it. You did an amazing job and I can see where you can use this with your students in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback! I actually like the idea of what you did a lot-- supplying students with images to which they have to create a story. I feel like it's more guided, but still allows for creativity! It must have been to have students compare all the different stories which could be told with the same images!

      Definitely will be using comics in the future!

      Delete